The Stroud Brewery Courier’ described the Clothiers Arms in September 1952: ‘…within a very few yards of the pub is the factory of cloth makers whose products go all over the world and includes royalty among its customers. In days gone by when a turn pike house stood opposite the Clothiers Arms, it became a house known to many travellers of the past century. Almost back to those days when the horse was the main mode of travel and business hours extended from dawn until the last customer was satisfied, goes the active memory of the present licensee, Mrs Ellen Bennett. In 50 years close and active association with the trade, all of which have been spent in the Clothiers Arms, Mrs Bennett has seen many changes; dating back to July 1902 when she first entered the business with her late husband. In those days a shop was included in the premises and sweets and beer were sold over the same counter. But there have been many changes since then – enlarged bar, a spacious smoke room and additional private premises. To mark the occasion of Mrs Bennett’s 50 years at the ‘Clothiers’, her regular customers planned a celebration. There was an iced cake, with 50 candles to be blown out, telegrams of congratulation to be read, healths’ to be drunk and a very happy evening was spent.’

Sadly, the Stroud Brewery Courier’ reported in December 1952, just three months later: ‘Our sympathy is extended to the family of Mrs Ellen Bennett, late of the Clothiers Arms, Stroud.  Her passing so soon after her 50 years Jubilee celebrations was indeed sad.’

About ten years ago the Clothiers Arms displayed an enamel plate Stroud Brewery Ales sign on the side of the building.  I also recall that in the 1970’s there was a Stroud Brewery etched window in situ but, alas, this has also disappeared.

The Citizen. Friday, November, 6th, 1987 – Stroud man’s death: Retired Stroud pub landlord Mr Cyril Mills has died. Mr Mills, a widower, ran the Clothiers Arms, Bath Road, for 18 years and lived at Manor View, Selsley. Mr Mills, who previously ran the Lamb off-licence, Amberley, spent most of his life in the Stroud district. Mr Mills is survived by a son.

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: Stroud Brewery

Rateable value in 1891: £12.15s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse

Owner in 1903: Stroud Brewery

Rateable value in 1903: £12.15s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse

Closing time in 1903: 10pm

Owner in 1983 Whitbread & Co.

Brewery Heritage: West Country Ales ceramic plaque still in situ

Landlords at the Clothiers Arms include:

1891 William Jenkins

1903 William Bennett

1902-1952 Mrs Ellen Bennett

1983-8th July 2001 Luciano Magolotti (also owner of Bell Hotel, Wallbridge)

Luciano Magolotti: Image: The Citizen.

2001,2008 Harry Counsell (bar manager Darren King)

Share this Page: