Martin Edwards, a fellow pub historian, has identified an 1844 reference to a public house called the Clarence Hotel Tap. This, presumably was the tap bar of the Clarence Hotel on the corner of Clarence Street and Crescent Place. However, the 1844 reference indicates that the Clarence Hotel Tap was in St Georges Place. St Matthews Church occupies the space between Crescent Place and St Georges Place, so the placement of the Clarence Hotel Tap in St Georges Place is open to question.
1844 Joseph Wiltshire