The Clarence Hotel was licensed as an ale house with a substantial annual rateable value of £68.0s.0d., perhaps being indicative of a rather grandiose and upmarket establishment. James Samuel King is documented as the owner in 1891, with ownership passing to George Harry Pratley in 1903. The Clarence Hotel was not tied to a brewery and operated free of tie.

The Clarence Hotel is listed at 19 Clarence Street in 1856. The approximate location of 19 Clarence Street in present street numbering is near JD Wetherspoon’s Bank House pub. It is likely, however, that the 1856 address precedes the modern-day numbering in Clarence Street.

Landlords at the Clarence Hotel include:

1830 Richard Liddell

1856,1859 Robert Leader

1870 Richard Mekin

1878,1883 James Samuel King

1885 John Samuel King (sic)

1891 James Samuel King

1902 William Durham

1903,1906 George Harry Pratley

Share this Page: