The Chosen Hotel, on the junction of Station Road and Albermarle Road, was located near to Churchdown Railway Station. It was originally built in 1897 as a temperance hotel but obtained a licence by 1903. It had a six day licence as late as 1936. The pub began its decline when the railway station was closed in the early 1960’s.
After the Chosen Hotel was demolished the site of the old pub and car park was left vacant. A planning application was submitted to Tewkesbury Borough Council for the construction of 27 flats for the elderly. This was initially refused by the planning department in February 1985 because of concerns the development was out of keeping and lacking in sympathy with the area and it thought likely there would be an increasing risk of danger to road users and the flats would leave insufficient space around the buildings. A revised plan to build two blocks of flats on the site of the Chosen Hotel was approved by planners in November 1985. The height of the building was reduced to two-storeys which allowed room for parking.
The Priory Court housing development now stands on the site of the Chosen Hotel.
Map Reference: SO 886203
Rateable Value in 1903: £82.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse (six day licence, presumably closed on Sundays)
Owner in 1903: Cheltenham Original Brewery
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Chosen Hotel include:
1903 William George Churm
1919 George Day
1927 Harry Edmond King
1939 Hy. Oakley