Originally built in 1535 during the reign of King Henry VIII for John Steede a local Yeoman, the house has had many owners including Sir Thomas Estcourt, a wealthy wool merchant.
Soon after the building was converted to the Close Hotel it was gutted by fire on Wednesday 30th January 1974.
The Wiltshire and Gloucestershire Standard reported: “Firemen from six brigades fought a blaze which seriously damaged a Tetbury hotel early on Wednesday. The outbreak occurred at the Close Hotel and Restaurant in Long Street, causing many thousands of pounds worth of damage. All the downstairs and upstairs rooms at the front of the Elizabethan building were completely gutted and the roof on this side of the hotel collapsed. Only those rooms at the back, facing out on to the walled garden escaped the flames. There were no guests staying in the hotel during the night and only one member of the staff was sleeping in the twelve bedroomed hotel. He was rescued by fireman from the third story and taken to Tetbury hospital suffering from shock. While firemen fought the blaze and brought it under control, the whole of Tetbury was closed to traffic. Fire appliances, under the direction of Divisional Officer Warren King of Stroud, were from Tetbury, Cirencester, Stroud, Gloucester, Malmesbury and Nailsworth.”
1974 John and Peggy Hastings
1998,2002 Louise Bale (General Manager), Darren Bale (Head Chef)