The Charlton Kings Working Men’s Club & Institute was built in 1888 after a three year fund raising campaign led by retired Army Captain St Clair Ford. It was built for £1,530 by the same architect who built Dean Close School.
The club’s original aim was to “afford members the means of social intercourse, mutual helpfulness, mental and moral improvement, rational recreation and good fellowship.” Membership initially cost sixpence a month or five shillings a year. The club is still popular today, attracting women as well as men.
In November 1998 it was declared the National Young Persons’ club of the Year. Vonnie’s blues club which is regularly held at the Charlton Kings Working Men’s Club was nominated by music club magazine Club Mirror to be one of the five best music clubs in the country in November 2007.