Martin Edwards, a fellow pub historian, has identified a Castle Inn – a beer house – at 1, Chapel Street in 1844. Chapel Street is off New Street, just to the south of the Lower High Street. Chapel Street is to the immediate rear of Ambrose Street and the western side of the street has a row of terraced houses.
A pub called the Hole in the Wall was at 5 Chapel Street in a 1878 reference and there was also a licensed premises in Chapel Street called the Express Inn, as recorded in the petty sessional divisional licensing books of 1891 and 1903.
1844 Ann Whitehead