The pub, which was on the main road in the valley near St. Marys Crossing, was operating in 1856 and, indeed, as late as 1972. It is included on the ‘Inns of the Cotswolds Map’ published by John Bartholomew & Sons in the mid 1970’s and compiled by K.C. Jordan.  It closed down in the mid 1970’s and was converted into maisonettes. There is nothing visible to indicate that the building was once a pub. It is called Carpenters.

Map Reference: SO 888024

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery,Stroud

Rateable value in 1891: £8.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery,Stroud

Rateable value in 1903: £8.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903:

Landlords at the Carpenters Arms include:

1856 J. Liddington

1885 Mrs Harriet Liddington

1891,1906 Valentine Tupper

1919 Henry Fox

1927 Frederick Wager

1939 John Astridge

Share this Page: