The Carpenters Arms is a traditional 18th century Cotswold stone building in centre of the village near Miserden Park. It is the only building in the village that is not part of the Miserden Estate. The name is derived from the old carpenters workshop which is now a store room at the rear of the pub.
After a landlord’s legal dispute with then owners Whitbread, the Carpenters Arms closed down in 1992. Johnny Johnston saw potential in the pub and it reopened on December 16th 1995. He already owned the Butchers Arms at Sheepscombe and the Carpenters Arms became part of his Blenheim Inns pub estate. Kevin and Debbie Allin were pub managers. Johnny Johnston later sold off his pub estate including the Carpenters Arms. Kevin and Debbie also left the pub.
The Carpenters Arms closed once again at the beginning of 2008 and it was empty for more than four months. Kevin and Debbie once again saw the opportunity to transform the run down pub into a thriving village local and, with the help of Kevin’s brother Nigel, they invested £20,000 in giving their old pub a makeover. After three weeks work it reopened on June 6th 2008. Kevin told the local press: “We’re old worlde. What we’ve done is returned to a really traditional Cotswold pub.”
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: SO 936088
Owner in 1891: Holmes & Co
Rateable value in 1891: £16.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Nailsworth Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £16.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Landlords at the Carpenters Arms include:
1856 J. Sheppard
1885 Atwell Goulding
1891 John Rawcliffe Brewer.
1902, 1906 Mrs Frances Brewer
1919,1939 Miss Amanda R. Brewer
? Ted Isaac
1996 Mr and Mrs Whitehouse
1996 – Johnny Johnston (Blenheim Inns)
2005 and also 2008,2009 Kevin and Debbie Allin