The Carpenters Arms is listed at 6 Beaufort Place in 1926 and 1939 Kelly’s Directories. Beaufort Place was a row of six houses in Portland Square and was renumbered as part of the square in 1957. There is a reference to a Carpenters Arms in Portland Street in 1878. The Carpenters Arms closed c.1941.
In 1891 and 1903 the Carpenters Arms was a leasehold house of the Cheltenham Original Brewery. Mrs Williams owned the property in 1891 and Stephen James is recorded as owner in 1903. The Carpenters Arms was a licensed beer house and had an annual rateable value of £15.5s.0d.
Landlords at the Carpenters Arms include:
1870 Joseph John Dicks
1878 John Allen
1883 Mrs E. Roff
1891 Allen Taylor
1903 Stephen James
1926,1939 Arthur Hy. Andrews