The Butchers Arms was located on corner of the Market Place and Lords Hill- at the foot of the B4228 road leading to Coalway. The Kings Head Hotel would have been opposite. The approximate site of the Butchers Arms is now occupied by bookmakers. (2 Lords Hill) and the Tourist Information Centre.
James Cullis was the landlord of the Butchers Arms in 1877. He committed suicide. His widow ran it afterwards but it became a hostelry with a bad reputation. The license was refused in September 1899, then owned by Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd.
The 1891 licensing records indicates that the Butchers Arms was an alehouse with an annual rateable value of £12.10s.0d. The owner was S.R. Davis and the Butchers Arms was a free house, with no brewery tie. James Fox was the occupier.