The Corn Hall was originally called the Butchers Arms. It was erected by the charity feoffees for the accomodation of farmers and ‘dealers in corn.’  The New Stroud Directory of 1909 contains an advertisement for the Corn Hall:

‘Finest Billiard Saloon in the town. Only the best beers, wines, spirits and cigars. Genuine Burton beers on draught. Oakhill Stout. Luncheons. Teas. etc. Proprietor E.W. Boughton.’

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: £51.0s.0d. Feoffeess Stroud Charities  (free from brewery tie)

Rateable value in 1891:

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903:  Stroud Charities (free from brewery tie)

Rateable value in 1903: £85.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse (six day licence – presumably closed on Sundays)

Closing time in 1903: 11pm

Landlords at the Corn Hall include:

1830 Henry Thorington (Butchers Arms)

1885 Mary Browning (Mrs)

1891 Arthur Mitchell

1902,1903 Henry Benjamin Sloman

1906 Edward Tower

1909 E.W. Boughton

Share this Page: