A beer house with the name the Brushmakers Arms has been identified by fellow pub historian Martin Edwards at 249 High Street in Cheltenham. This is an 1844 reference.
This would have been where the Railway bridge crosses the Lower High Street. In 1844, of course, there was no railway bridge at this location. The Bakers Arms at 250 High Street would have been next door.
In 1870 249 High Street was occupied by Job Herbert, a greengrocer. The premises later became a butchers shop. (Mrs Jenkins – Pork Butcher in 1891).
1844 Richard Field