The Broadwell Tavern must have been one of the most distinctive pubs in the county of Gloucestershire. The Broadwell Tavern dates back to at least the end of the 15th century. It was formerly a nunnery. When the monastic building was converted into a tavern the original windows were retained. The most unusual feature, however, was that the building stood at a point where water from underlying inferior oolitic limestone passes over a gravel base. The stream laps against the front of the building.
The Broadwell Tavern was a rare outlet for Godsell’s Stroud ales in the Dursley area. The Broadwell Tavern closed down in 1914. It was in use as a veterinary surgeons but by July 1998 part of the old tavern had been converted into a cottage with an asking price of £95,000
The Gazette, Friday 16th April 1999. ‘Off the Beaten Track’ (Feature): The area between the bottom of Silver Pitch where it runs into Bulls Pitch, the top of Water Street and the rear of St James Parish Church, has been known for centuries as the Broadwell. The name derives from the area of water which flows over ground at this point, above the inferior oolitic bedrock on which the town is built. The gravel base through which the water passes as it rises to the surface gives it a particular clarity. Even in times of severe drought it has never been known to dry up.
It was doubtless these waters that attracted settlers to the area and there is evidence to suggest this is the oldest inhabited part of the town. The central, and certainly the largest building in the Broadwell is the one until recently known as the Broadwell Tavern, a strong contender for the title of ‘oldest building in town’.
Dating back to at least the end of the 15th century, it was formerly a nunnery. It is named in a document from 1610 as being St Mary’s House and indeed there is still a well to the rear of the building which was known as St Marys Well. A few years later it was owned by one Hugh Smith, who appears to have been largely responsible for changing its use. Throughout the following centuries the building is increasingly recorded as a hostelry and public house, this is how it appears at the end of the 19th century when it advertised the locally brewed ‘Godsells Ales’. In the Dursley Petty Sessions for 1911, it is recorded that the ‘licence of the Broadwell Tavern Inn… was temporarily transferred from William Attwood to Caroline Shipton, married woman of Dursley.”
Stroud District Council – Planning application, 20th June 1997: Mr and Mrs C. Wright c/o Vale Veterinary Group, demolition of flat roofed extension; insertion of traditional timber windows and internal alterations to create two dwellings at Broadwell Tavern, 6 Broadwell, Dursley.
The Gazette, 26th October 2006. Property – Original charm in period home: 6 Broadwell is an attractive, detached period cottage located in the heart of Dursley. The cottage is constructed of Cotswold Stone and is spacious and well laid out. Much of the original charm has been retained, with exposed timber beams and window seats. Internal accommodation comprises hall, sitting room, cloak-room, kitchen/breakfast room, three bedrooms, bathroom and there is parking. The Tetbury office of Humberts, is delighted to have received instructions to offer for private treaty the property with a guide price of £249,950.
Owner in 1891: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud
Rateable value in 1891: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891:
Owner in 1903: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud
Rateable Value in 1903: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903:
Closing time in 1903:
Landlords at the Broadwell Tavern include:
1891 Allan Smith
1903 Charles Owen
1911 William Attwood (license transferred temporarily in 1911 to Caroline Shipton)