The British School was set up primarily for the miners and was known locally as the miners school. The foundation stone was laid by Handel Cossham who was manager at the Yate collieries and went on to be owner of mines in Kingswood Bristol and Pucklechurch. It still is a school being the North Road primary school located on the junction of North Road and the lane known as The British.
Owner in 1891: John Washbourne (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: John Washbourne (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1903: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse (off sales only)
Closing time in 1903:
1891,1903 Robert Washbourne