The Eagle Brewery was once located immediately behind the British Oak. (Alan Neame, Eagle Brewery). The Nailsworth Brewery acquired the Eagle Brewery in 1897. The old brewery buildings were used for many years for prestige caravan manufacturing – Safari Caravans. The brewery buildings were demolished and flats now occupy the site.
The British Oak and the Canal Tavern, which was situated on the banks of the Stroudwater Canal, eschewed the products of the Eagle Brewery in favour of the larger Stroud Brewery Company. Joseph Benjamin Flight, landlord in 1891, had moved to the Sundial Inn by 1902.
The pub is now trading as the Bowbridge Arms.
Owner in 1891: Stroud Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £21.15s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Stroud Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £25.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Landlords at the British Oak / Bowbridge Arms include:
1856 C. Little
1885 James Hill
1891 Joseph Benjamin Flight
1902,1927 Albert Spillard
1930’s Jack and Rose Crook
1939 John H. Crook
1981 Ivor & Joan Dugdale