It is thought that the Britannia Inn was licensed for only a short period during the late Victorian period. The inn is only documented in the 1890’s and early 1900’s.
The Britannia Inn is now a private residence called Britannia House. The seventeenth century timber framed twin gabled building has exposed timbers on the left gable. It has a newel stair in a projecting wing to the rear. A door in the property has a decorative leaded window with an illustration of Britannia with the name below the image.
In 1891 the Britannia Inn was owned by G. Bowyer and the pub was free from brewery tie. With an annual rateable value of £16.0s.0d. the Britannia was licensed as a beer house. At the start of the Edwardian era in 1903 the ownership had passed to Sarah Wood who had leased it out it to Francis Wintle’s Mitcheldean Forest Brewery. Closing time was at 11 pm.
Landlords at the Britannia Inn include:
1891 G. Weyman
1901 J. Bowyer (manager)
1903 George Powell