The Britannia Inn was a modest brick built building. The Stroud Brewery had an inventory of all their licensed property in 1928, after the acquisition of the rival Godsell’s Brewery. The Britannia was listed as having an ‘orchard adjoining’.
Upon closure in the 1960’s and the removal of the wooden pub signs there would have been nothing to indicate that the property was once a pub.
Map Reference: SO 776054 (approx)
Rateable Value in 1891: £9.10s.0d.
Owner in 1891: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs, Stroud
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Rateable Value in 1903: £8.0s.0d.
Owner in 1903: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs, Stroud
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 10 pm
Owner in 1930: Stroud Brewery Company
Landlords at the Britannia Inn include:
1891 Hannah Cullimore
1903 George Parsloe
1939 Arthur Frank Dowdeswell