The Brighton Arms has long been demolished. Lloyds TSB now occupies the site.
Charles Garton & Co., of Easton Road, Lawrence Hill in Bristol owned the Brighton Arms in 1891. They were acquired by the Anglo-Bavarian Brewery in Shepton Mallet, Somerset in 1898. The annual rateable value of the Brighton Arms in 1891 and 1903 was set at £17.0s.0d. and it was a licensed beer house.
In 1903 the Anglo-Bavarian Brewery supplied their Somerset beer to at least a dozen pubs in Cheltenham. Presumably their beers were taken by train on the Somerset & Dorset Railway to Bath and then onto the Midland Railway to be unloaded in Cheltenham. Their pubs were Alders Stores in Winchcombe Street, Bath Hotel in Albion Street, Beaufort Arms in Union Street, Beehive in Montpellier, Carlton Bar, Cotswold Stores in Suffolk Road, King William Vaults in Bath Road, Knapp Inn in New Street, Mount Pleasant in Winchcombe Street, New Inn in Hewlett Road, and the Old Swan Hotel and Shakespeare Inn in the High Street.
Landlords at the Brighton Arms include:
1891 Emmeline Elizabeth Higgins
1903 Mary Hillier Wicks
British Arms, 7 Norwood Terrace, Bath Road, Cheltenham
Norwood Terrace was on the west side of Bath Road near Suffolk Street. The buildings still exist. No’s 1-6 Norwood Terrace are now numbered 177-189 Bath Road and 7-12 Norwood Terrace is now 191 to 199 Bath Road. The British Arms would have been at the present day 191 Bath Road. There is a reference to the British Arms in the 1891 Cheltenham Post Office Directory when John Higgins was the landlord / occupier. There is no reference to the British Arms in the contemporary 1891 licensing book.
In 1871 census 7 Norwood Terrace was called Brighton Arms.
George Mansfield was Gardener and Innkeeper