The Brewers Arms once was owned by the Dursley Brewery, which passed through the ownership of Richard Chapman (1891) and T.W. Elvy (1903). The Dursley Brewery in Silver Street went into liquidation in 1906 and the brewery and 21 tied houses were acquired by Godsell’s & Sons of Salmon Springs, Stroud. John Pegler and his wife, Ellen Elizabeth, were landlords at the Brewers Arms at this transitional time. They had six children and apart from being licensees the family were also running a hauling business, coal delivery and a small grocery store! The pub then became a Stroud Brewery house, and ownership eventually passed to West Country Breweries / Whitbread.

2005
April 2010

Closed and boarded up in April 2010.

This page will be updated with additional information.

Licensing Details:

Rateable Value in 1891: £13.10s.0d.

Owner in 1891: Richard Chapman, Dursley Steam Brewery

Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse

Rateable Value in 1903: £21.0s.0d.

Owner in 1903: Thomas William Elvy, Dursley Steam Brewery

Closing time in 1903: 11pm

Owner in 1906: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud

Owner in 1928: Stroud Brewery Company

Landlords at the Brewers Arms include:

1891 Frederick W. Wingfield

1903 John Pegler

1939 Isaac Muncaster

1971-1981 Jeff and Glen Perry

1981,1985 Geoffrey and Mary Webb (Geoffrey previously had his own transport and haulage business)

1997 Steve Davies

1998, 2004 Wayne Beachus

Share this Page: