The Boars Head, on the corner of Henrietta Street and Swindon Road, was within the shadow of the old malt house of the Cheltenham Brewery. The Stonehouse Inn was on the opposite side of Swindon Road. The Boars Head closed in 1931.

The old Boars Head is now a terraced house, but the building is still easily identifiable as the plasterboard signboard is still in situ on the masonry.

The Stonehouse Inn was located opposite the road where the Express hotel stands.

Francis Gregory was the owner of the Boars Head in 1891 and it was leased to the Cheltenham Original Brewery. Corpus Christi College of Oxford were the owners of the pub in 1903 who continued to lease it to the brewery on the opposite of the road. The annual rateable value of the Boars Head was £15.5s.0d. in 1891 increasing to £17.10s.0d. in 1903. The Boars Head was licensed as an ale house.

Landlords at the Boars Head include:

1847 James & Mary Mulliss

1856,1859 George Gregory

1870,1878 Francis Gregory

1883 George Capple

1885 George Capper

1891 Henry Charles Surman

1902,1906 Samuel Harper

1919 James Hy. Flynn

1926 Ernest George Allen

1927 Ernest Allen

1939 Anna L. Allen (Mrs)

?       Fred and Emily Eakets

Share this Page: