Rodley is an isolated hamlet to the south of Chaxhill and south-east of Westbury on Severn. It is on the ‘Arlingham Bend’ of the River Severn, renowned for its dangerous and swift tides.
Blue Boys Farm is located near the banks of the River Severn directly opposite Framilode. When the inn was operating from the building it once served bargees mooring nearby waiting for the tide to enable passage into the Framilode canal and onwards to the Stroudwater and Thames & Severn Canals. When the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal was completed in 1827 the Framilode cut became isolated and fell into disuse. This affected the livelihood of the Blue Boys Inn. However, the inn survived for another 90 years.
Eliza Butler owned and occupied the Blue Boys in 1891 and 1903. She was a widower, aged 56 in the 1901 census. Her husband Thomas Albert Butler ran the Blue Boys in 1876 when he was also listed as a carrier. Thomas died from the disease of the bladder in 1891, aged 48. The annual rateable value of the Blue Boys Inn was £21.0s.0d. The premises had an ale house license and was free from brewery tie. The Blue Boys closed at 11 pm which is surprising considering its isolated rural location.
The Blue Boys closed in March 1917 when it was reported that ‘Mr Fricker had vacated the premises.’
Landlords at the Blue Boys include:
1856 Mrs E. Hiett
1876,1885 Thomas Albert Butler
1891, 1906 Mrs Eliza Butler
1917 Mr. Fricker