10 Commercial Road in 1939 directory.

The Blackfriars Inn was named after the medieval monastic building that is immediately behind the pub. It is a brick building with decorative hop and grape features around the front door. It was once a tied house to Arnold Perrett & Co., of Wickwar.

Courtesy Michael Wilkes

When the final ‘last orders’ were called the Blackfriars Inn was Whitbread pub, with a West Country Breweries legacy – and it still retains its West Country ‘Best in the West’ ceramic plaque.

Landlords at the Blackfriars Inn include:

1879 Charles Romans

1893 A. Young

1906 C.A. Smith

1936,1939 Albert Ward

1957 Mrs E. Ward

Share this Page: