The Black Lion came into use sometime after 1830. However, it must have closed by 1891 as there is no mention in the licensing records. There is a private house in Castle Street called Lion House but it is later in construction than 1861/1881 which suggests that the Black Lion pub was demolished and a new building built on the site.
Landlords at the Black Lion include:
1861 Charles Passivent
1881 Harriet Collins