The Black Horse is situated in front of Longford House to the east of the village.
George Smith, the owner of the Black Horse in 1891 was a farmer and he let the pub to tenants. Although George lived in the village, he did not reside in the Black Horse. Upon his death George Smith bequeathed the Black Horse to his daughter Sarah Champion. It seems probable that Sarah sold the pub to E.A. Greens Victoria Brewery in Stow on the Wold.
This page will be updated with additional information.
The pub still sells Stow beers but now from the Donnington Brewery – it one of their tied houses.
Map Reference: SP 119234
Owner in 1891: George Smith (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £9.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Edward Augustus Green, Stow Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £16.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Black Horse include:
1866,1870 Nathaniel Mason (listed as a shoemaker at the Black Horse Inn in 1866)
1879,1891 Mrs Jane Wakefield
1902,1906 George Williams
1914,1919 Thomas Hayward
1927,1939 Mrs Florence Hayward
1950’s (late) Mr. Stanley
c.1962-c.1965 Michael Dores
1960’s (late) Arthur Adams
c.1970-c.1978 Edward (Dick) Heath
c.1979-1997 Adrian Bowen-Jones
1997 Leo Callaghan
1998 – Martin and Helen Macklin
David and Sheila Gray
2005 (June) –