The 16th century Black Horse is now the only surviving pub in the village of North Nibley. (The New Inn at Waterley Bottom is still trading but it is located in an isolated position to the east of the village). The three gabled building is on the cross-roads in the centre of the village.

The landlord in 1903, A.A. Newton, was convicted and fined on 23rd January for selling brandy adulterated with 28% of water.

Courtesy Michael Wilkes
Courtesy Michael Wilkes

In 2002 the Black Horse was extensively refurbished and a new roof was added. It was sold by Quality Inns in November 2005.

Image: Nigel Hammond
July 2006

This page will be updated with additional information.

http://the-black-horse-inn.igloucestershire.com

Map Reference: ST 741958

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd, Wickwar Brewery

Rateable value in 1891: £12.15s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd, Wickwar Brewery

Rateable value in 1903: £12.15s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 10pm

Landlords at the Black Horse include:

1885,1906  Albert Lewton (listed as Augustus A. Lewton in 1891)

1915  W. Harper

1919, 1927 Mrs Rosamond Harper

1986 Ted and June Hamston

1999 Rod and Jan Hamston

2004 Easton and Alison Hogben (Quality Inns)

2005, 2008 Jason and Candice (nee Hewett) Nabb

Share this Page: