The Black Dog Inn was at the point where Northgate Street ended and London Road begins. (1 London Road in 1902 and 1936).
Gloucester Journal: January 11th, 1873: LOST– Either stolen or taken by mistake, from a two-wheeled trap at the Black Dog Inn, a pair of black cushions. The landlord will feel obliged by their being returned.
The Black Dog is recorded as having a small brewery on the premises making home brewed ales. Thomas Organ is recorded as brewer at the Black Dog. An advertisement in Morris’ directory of 1876 reads “Black Dog Inn. Agricultural and Commercial Inn & Brewery, Northgate Street, Gloucester. Centrally situated near the railway stations and the cattle market. Private sitting rooms. Agriculturalists, commercial gentlemen and visitors will find every convenience and attention.”
The pub and brewery were purchased by the Stroud Brewery Company for £4,800 in 1909 and brewing ceased immediately.
The pub featured a large carved teak wood black dog. The dog was carved by Gloucester artist Arthur Levison, who also carved the figurehead of the Cutty Sark clipper ship. The black dog, in three sections, was removed in May 1966 just prior to the pub being demolished. It is now in safe keeping at the Gloucester Folk Museum.
The site of the inn is now Black Dog Way – part of Gloucester’s busy inner ring road.
Landlords at the Black Dog include:
1830 Richard Morgan
1841,1851,1861 John Organ (resident at the Black Dog in three consecutive Censuses)
1879, 1906 Thomas Organ
1893 H.G. Kless
1919 Henry William Rock
1927 Charles Carr Briant
1930’s Charlie Edwards
1936 G. Whitson
1957 Albert Good