A public house with the name the Birmingham and Gloucester Inn has been identified by fellow pub historian Martin Edwards in Lower Alstone, Cheltenham. This is an 1844 reference. Martin has indicated that the Birmingham & Gloucester Inn was situated in Gloucester Road.
The Bromsgrove to Cheltenham section of the Birmingham & Gloucester Railway opened in June 1840. The railway themed pub is almost certainly an early incarnation of the Midland Hotel opposite Cheltenham Lansdown station in Gloucester Road.
1844 Charles Jones