The premises was called the Ship in 1808 and the Kings Head in 1887. The Bird in Hand Inn is described as being in Mary le Port Street in 1891 and 1903. The modern address is Marybrook Street.
The Gloucester Journal reported on 10th March 1906 that the license of the Bird in Hand had been renewed despite the fact that the ‘sanitary arrangements were not adequate.’ It was said that the landlady, Ann Heskins, had been at the pub for eighteen years and no conviction had been recorded against her.
In 1978 there was a ‘singalong every Saturday with Reg Chandler at the organ.’
The Bird in Hand changed its name to the Malt House in 2000 when new landlords Bob and Julie Moult took over – the Malt House is a play on their name. In recent years it has been refurbished and now includes three bars, a 100 seat restaurant and accommodation.
Owner in 1891: John Howard (leased to Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery)
Rateable value in 1891: £16.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £16.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Bird in Hand / Malt House include:
1891,1903 Ann Heskins
1930’s ‘Ellen Elizabeth Cooper married to Frederick George Cooper, had the Bird in Hand in Berkeley as early as the 1930s.’
1945-1959 ‘It was then passed on to Frederick and Lillian Cooper in 1945 up 1959’ (these dates are approx)
1991 Keith Wood
1998 Muriel Graver
2000 (Sept) – Bob and Julie Moult
2003,2005 Stuart and Wendy Burdett