In 1870 the license of the Bell Tap changed from Frederick Higham to John Dunn

Gloucester Journal, October 1887. About one o’clock last Saturday morning a serious fire broke out in Bell Lane. Two men returning home noticed a good deal of smoke and heard a crackling sound issuing from one of the old cottages adjoining the Bell Inn. The firemen connected with the Norwich office were aroused and were quickly on the spot, being shortly followed by the men of the London, Liverpool & Globe Office. Before the arrival of the brigade it was discovered that an invalid and one or two children were sleeping in the cottage. These and other inmates being aroused their rescue from a most dangerous position was quickly effected. At one time it was not impossible that the cottage was part of the Bell Inn, as both the house and this cooking kitchen are covered by the same roof. The firemen at once got to work and in half an hour the flames were completely extinguished, and the men confined their efforts to prevent a second outbreak which might take place from the smouldering walls and wood. No explanation can be given as to the cause of the outbreak.

Share this Page: