When the Bell Inn was referred to the compensation authority for closure it was described as having three public rooms with one room for lodgers. It was within fifty yards of the Globe Inn. James Brain, the tenant, had been at the Bell Inn for 14 years. There was stabling at the pub. The average takings being between £9 and £10 per week but much of the takings were ‘outdoor’ trade. The Bell inn closed in February 1912. The exact location of the Bell Inn is not yet known.
The owner of the Bell Inn in 1889 was Alfred Wintle of Bill Mills near Weston under Penyard, Ross on Wye. Alfred conducted a malting business at Bill Mills supplying malt to a few pubs making their own beer. His brother Thomas Wintle had started brewing in Mitcheldean in 1869, so although ownership of the Bell Inn is credited to Alfred Wintle of Bill Mills, the beer was supplied from the Forest Brewery. Thomas passed away in 1888, leaving the brewery in Mitcheldean to his four children of which Francis had sole control by 1890. The Bell Inn was owned by Francis Wintle in 1891 and 1903. Throughout those twelve years the annual rateable value of the beer house was set at £20.0s.0d and it closed each night at 11 pm.
Landlords at the Bell Inn include:
1865-1868 William Sleeman
1881-1892 John F. Briscoe (property owned in 1888 by Joseph Bennett)
1901 J. Cocks
1897-1912 James Brain