The Bell was located on the western side of the High Street, just off Passage Road. The Bell Inn was once tied to Thomas William Elvy’s Dursley Brewery. The family business went bankrupt in 1906 and the brewery was sold to Godsell & Sons together with 21 tied houses, which included the Bell Inn. In 1928 Godsells were taken over by the Stroud Brewery, which means that the above photograph must have been taken after this date.

The building is now a private residence. Adjacent to the old Bell there is a housing development called Bell Orchard (GL2 7JS).

Map Reference: SO 708712

Licensing Details:

Rateable Value in 1891: £14.10s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse

Owner in 1891: Richard Chapman, Dursley Brewery

Rateable Value in 1903: £16.5s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse

Owner in 1903: Thomas Elvy, Dursley Brewery

Closing time in 1903: 10pm

Owner in 1906:  Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud

Landlords at the Bell Inn include:

1891 George Pocket

1903 George Sendell

1945 Rachel Annie Messenger (born 1870)

Share this Page: