The Bell Inn, facing the Thames & Severn canal, was located just a few yards west of the New Red Lion. A lock on the canal was named after the pub – Bell Lock. The Bell was in operation in 1820. Being on a steep hillside there were entrances at two different levels. The photograph below shows the rear entrance on the hillside. The Bell Inn boasted an assembly room, which was used for chartists meetings in the 1830’s – a time when the local cloth industry was in decline. The Gloucester Citizen reported on 5th March 1926 that there were ‘four licensed houses within a distance of 710 yards of the Bell Inn and there were four other houses on the top of Chalford Hill.’ The Bell Inn was recommended for closure. It was demolished many years ago.
Map Reference: SO 898025
Owner in 1891: Messrs. Cook, Tetbury Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £8.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Messrs. Cook, Tetbury Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £8.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Bell Inn include:
1856 A. Whiting
1885,1906 James Davies
1919,1927 George Brown