The annual rateable value of the Bell Inn in 1891 was a staggering £104.10s.0d., but this included 50 acres of land. In contrast the annual rateable value in 1903 was only £15.0s.0d.excluding the land. Originally called the Swan Inn (1728) it was renamed the Bell Inn in 1751.

The Bell Inn  was purchased by the Stroud Brewery Company in 1909 for £2,525. It was subsequently sold to Charles Hy. Barber and renamed the Chestnuts and following his death the licence was relinquished.

A noteable visitor to the Bell Inn was Charles Dickens who dined at the pub in 1837 whilst on his way to Tewkesbury.

The property is now called Pickwick Farm.

Licensing details:

Owner in 1891: L. Grist (free from brewery tie)

Rateable value in 1891: £104.10s.0d (included 50 acres of land)

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Mr S. Grist (free from brewery tie)

Rateable value in 1903: £15.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 11pm

Landlords at the Bell Inn include:

1891 John Charles Hooper

1903,1906 Bertrand Charles Hooper

Share this Page: