The lane that runs by the side of the Red Lion towards the church is called Bell Lane. Bell House, on the west side of the lane, is a 16th or 17th Century building.

This was once the Bell Inn and was recorded in 1736 as ‘a messuage tenement or dwelling house now used as a public house and called or known by the sign of the Bell.’

It seems to have had a comparatively short history as an inn as there is no mention of the Bell after 1839.

Share this Page: