The Bell Inn is a Grade II listed building in the centre of the village.
In 2001 petty bureaucracy dictated that a string of coloured light bulbs illuminating the pub should be turned off. The lights had been a feature of the Bell Inn for at least 20 years. When landlord Mark Priestley replaced the blown bulbs at considerable expense he was told that the lights were strung on two visible parts of the listed building and were ‘visually obtrusive’. When Mark argued that the lights had been deliberately placed there so that they could be seen at night the council officer told him that the brackets on the pub used for hanging baskets were also a matter of concern. Luckily common sense prevailed and the lights were switched on again. A planning department spokesman said: “There have now been extra negotiations and after a justification for the lights’ existence was submitted, it is now recommended the lights be permitted.” … You couldn’t make it up!
This page will be updated with additional information.
Post Code: GL5 5JY
Map reference: SO 834035
Owner in 1891: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud
Rateable value in 1891: £8.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: R. Smith (leased Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud)
Rateable value in 1903: £15.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Bell Inn include:
1891 Albert Harrison
1903 Edward J. Williams
1976-1983 David & Angela Carter
1983 (Nov) Don & Wendy Wright
1998 (Nov),2001 Mark Priestley and Georgina (Nina) Hadley
2005 David Whitake