In 1866 the Bell Inn together with three cottages and half an acre of land was sold.
The Stroud Brewery Courier reported of the retirement of Mr Bert Hayes of the Bell Inn in December 1947 ‘after being its landlord for thirty years. Mr Hayes has taken considerable interest in sport and village affairs, representing Avening on the Tetbury Rural District Council for the past 15 years. He has also been a chorister for 50 years, and a bell ringer. We wish Mr and Mrs Hayes much happiness in their well earned retirement.’
When Joyce and Ernie Moss were mine hosts at the Bell in the 1950’s they held an annual Pig Face day – an ancient celebration that could be traced back to 1080 when Countess Matilda, wife of William the Conquerer, gave a feast of a boars head. The custom was revived some 900 years later when Joyce and Ernie served more than 1,000 sandwiches cut from twelve pigs heads! The Bell was converted to a restaurant in 1985 but reverted to a full licence again in 1995.
The Bell Inn is still trading on the B4014 in the village centre.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: ST 884978
Owner in 1891: Charles Richard Luce, Malmesbury Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Charles Richard Luce, Malmesbury Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Bell Inn include:
1891 Ralph Jones. Beerhouse
1903,1906 Charles Willavoys
1917-1947 Bert Hayes
1950 Ernie and Joyce Moss
1995,1997 Kevin and Janet Newbould
1998 Melissa Bovey
2004,2006 Simon Taylor and Tony Seward
2008 Jacob Kirby