The Bell and Castle Hotel, which was a substantial stone building, was demolished c.1959. The site of the Bell and Castle is now occupied by a fish and chip shop (previously Barclays Bank).
Gloucester Journal, May 1889: To Let – Bell & Castle Hotel, Dursley. Good posting and general trade, billiards etc. Incoming about £600. The Brewery Agency for the town may also be had by a suitable man. Apply, John Arnold & Sons, High Street Brewery, Wickwar.
An advertisement c.1906 reads: ‘Bell & Castle. Family & Commercial Hotel. Dursley. Nimrod Long, proprietor. Late of Berkeley Arms, Berkeley. Hunting Quarters & Posting House. Good Stabling. Billiards.’
Owner in 1891: W.J. Lister (leased to John Arnold, Wickwar)
Rateable value in 1891: £39.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: W.J. Lister (leased to Stroud Brewery)
Rateable value in 1903: £40.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Bell & Castle include:
1856 S. Burford
1891,1903 Pearce Organ
1906 Nimrod Long
1919,1927 Tom James Vigus