The Beehive Inn was situated just outside Charlton Kings towards the reservoir on the northern side of the London Road. The field opposite the Beehive was once a brickyard and it is possible that the bricks were used to construct the pub. The building still stands and is now Balcarras Farm. (Holiday Cottages) The Beehive closed many years ago (c.1919) but for a long time the word ‘Beehive’ could be seen in fading lettering on the rendering. Upon closure it was purchased by a Mr Shakespeare Shenton ,who ran the Palace Cinema in Cheltenham. The interior of the old pub was found to be displaying old posters of the silent screen days. In recent years the rendering has been removed to expose the bricks. During the building works a bow window, which was added in about 1920, was also removed from the front.
Owner in 1891: John Burchell (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £38.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud
Rateable value in 1903: £38.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Beehive Inn include:
1883,1891 John Burchell
1903 Henry Edwin Bryan