The building, dating back to 1715, is located about two miles to the north of Cirencester on the A435 road to Cheltenham.
Before the Bear became an inn it was a farmstead serving travellers on the route from Cheltenham to Cirencester. The Bear Inn public house ‘and cottage opposite and No’s 1 & 2 West Cottages and land’ were purchased by the Cirencester Brewery on 31st October 1904. When the Cirencester Brewery was taken over in 1937 the Bear Inn sold Simonds beers from Reading. Upon acquisition of H. & G. Simonds Ltd in 1960 the beers at the Bear Inn were supplied by the Courage Brewery. In its last years before closure in 2004 the Bear at Perrotts Brook was tied to Ushers of Trowbridge.
As part of a charity fund raising event in August 1999 the landlady, Sally Tarrant, smashed concrete slabs on the stomach of Dr Dangerous with a sledgehammer! The closure of the pub was contested by the local Bagendon Council and the Campaign for Real Ale but only one resident of the hamlet Perrotts Brook objected to the change of use. Councillors voted in favour of converting the Grade II listed pub: “The number of objections received from the immediate community of Perrotts Brook and the lack of evidence as to the significant role that the pub has played to date does not suggest that it is a valuable facility whose loss would significantly harm that community.”
Map Reference: SP 019060
Owner in 1891: John H. Howell (leased Cirencester Brewery)
Rateable Value in 1891: £14.8s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: F.W.B. Cripps, Cirencester Brewery
Rateable Value in 1903: £14.8s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Bear Inn include:
1856 A. Pinchin
1885,1891 William Moore
1902,1906 William Townsend
1913,1927 William George Scriven
1992-1998 Ray and Yvonne Helsdon (retired March 1998)
1999 Simon and Sally Tarrant