The Railway Tavern was originally called the Barley Mow. It was located several hundred feet above Brimscombe Station and stood opposite the footpath which descended through Brownshill Banks to the main road by the Victoria Hotel. 

Wilfred Merrett in his book ‘the Pubs of the Old Stroud Brewery’ states that the pub was at least a mile away from the railway. Why the name was changed from the Barley Mow is a mystery. The Stroud Brewery valued the inn at £950 in 1900.

The pub was sold as a private house but it was allowed to fall into a very sad state of disrepair. The dilapidated building was eventually offered for auction for £200,000 in June 2002.

Map Reference:  SO 884025 (approx)

Licensing Details:

Rateable Value 1891: £9.10s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1891: Mary Chandler – Free from brewery tie

Rateable Value 1903: £9.10s.0d

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Stroud Brewery


1885,1891 William Edwards

1902 George Randall

1903,1906 John William Orchard

1919,1939 Mrs Elizabeth Jellyman

Share this Page: