Britton Bottom is a small hamlet on the unclassified road from Dunkirk on the A46 to Hawkesbury Upton. There is a property called Barley Mow in the hamlet.
The Barley Mow stayed in use until around 1960. The Pincott family were living there at one time. Around 1964 John Hutton bought it and completely renovated it, adding the left third of the frontage.
‘Barry Watkins bought the Barley Mow in approximately 1976. He added the large lounge and the en-suite bedroom above about a year later, which was built over a well in the garden. He also had the swimming pool and tennis court built plus planted the orchard.’ Regards Sandra McMillan (nee Watkins)
Owner in 1891: William John Bishop (leased Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery)
Rateable value in 1891: £15.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: William John Bishop (leased Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery)
Rateable value in 1903: £15.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Barley Mow include:
- 1881 Walter R Long
- 1891 William Blamire. Beerhouse. Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd (owner William John Bishop)
- 1901 census Samuel Burnell was inn keeper at Barley Mow
- 1903 George Clack. Beerhouse. Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd. (owner William John Bishop)