The Annexe was opened in 1957 by Cyril Bailey and remained in the same family. Helen Bailey, Cyril’s daughter, was running the pub and was co-owner in 2009 when it had a makeover. The Annexe Inn has also been run by Helen’s mother, brother Jeff, as well as partners John Belcher and Jackie Colwell.
Forest of Dean & Ross-on-Wye Pubs. A critical guide by Jon Hurley (booklet, 1991): Modern, the bar is “pubby” but the main trade is in a wide range of meals and bar snacks. Basket meals, Pies, Sandwiches, Curries, Chilli, Spaghetti and much more folks. Mainly Whitbread’s beers and there is a modest wine list. Interesting wall drawing features Elizabeth Knevet (1518) in her heraldic mantle. A popular and well placed in where travelling retirees may park their Allegros (with difficulty) and enjoy a pleasant meal which won’t leave too big a hole in their pensions.
The refurbishment started in 2006 when the bar and restaurant was re-designed, followed by the function room which was used for private functions like parties and weddings. The new frontage in 2009 was partly funded by Forest of Dean District Council regeneration fund enabling the exterior to be re-rendered, the installation of new windows, signage and lighting. The pub was re-launched as the Annexe Venue. Helen told the ‘Citizen’ newspaper, “We have spent a lot of money on this and it has changed over the years, but we are still the same family run business. We have lots of regulars and a very strong community pub spirit, we wanted to keep them all on board and I think they are all pleased with the work we have done.”
An ’Eating Out’ review in the ‘Forester’ newspaper in August 2012 put the emphasis on the cooks at the Annexe Venue, James Snell and Glyn Allford, who had moved to the Forest after working for top restaurants in London. After five years working at Clearwell Castle they started at the Annexe. James said, “Our menu [at the Annexe Venue] is very eclectic as we have a broad clientele. We do everything from omelettes and chips to more refined dishes, but making sure everything is to the local taste.”
The left-hand side of the building housed Joshua’s Steak House in 2012. The premises is now Amigos Mexican Grill Bar, but it is still licensed.