An advertisement in the 1889 Kellys Directory reads: “Pleasantly situated on the Cotswold Hills, six miles from Cheltenham, five minutes from the railway station, and within easy reach of four good packs of hounds. Post horses and carriages for hire. Good stabling and loose boxes for hunters. Hunters summered. Excellent bed rooms and private sitting rooms. Special terms for boarders. Good trout fishing. Tennis courts, swings, etc. Dinners and teas provided for picnic and pleasure parties. Splendid drives from the hotel to Chedworth wods, Roman Villa, Foss Bridge, etc. C.A. Arkell, proprietor.” 

Courtesy Joe Stevens
‘Inn and Around – 250 favourite Whitbread pubs’. (Whitbread Publication 1974)
Huntsman’s Meet – the site of the Andoversford Hotel. Note the village ‘pub sign’

The Andoversford Hotel closed down in 1988. The A40 bypass deprived the pub of its passing trade. It was demolished and a housing estate built on the grounds of the hotel (Huntsmans Meet GL54 4JR). The pub sign post remains and now houses the Andoversford village sign.

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: C.W. Lawrence (leased Cheltenham Original Brewery)

Rateable value in 1891: £63.0s.0d. included a cottage and one and three quarter acres of land

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: C.W. Lawrence (leased Cheltenham Original Brewery)

Rateable value in 1903: £63.0s.0d. included a cottage and one and three quarter acres of land

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 10pm

Landlords / Proprietors at the Andoversford Hotel include:

1856 W. Slade

1870 Mr Sparrow

1885 Emily Collingwood Colman

1889 C.A. Arkell

1891 Cotterell Arkell

1903,1919 George Felix Smith

1927 Eustace Felix Smith

Share this Page: