The Anchor Inn was near the pedestrian crossing on the north side of Bath Road. The Clothiers Arms is on the opposite side of the road. It last traded as the Linton Inn. It has now closed but the red-bricked terraced building still survives.
There is a West Country Ales – Best in the West ceramic plaque still in situ
The Citizen, 7th November 1973 – All change at the Anchor: For the past 11 years, Mr Henry Griffin has had two jobs 9 landlord of the Anchor Inn, and part-time electrician. Mr Griffin (56), married [to Pat] with a daughter has now left the licensed trade for family reasons. He is re-joining the Stroud electrical firm where he started as an apprentice electrician at the age of 14.
Mr Griffin has worked at the company for a total of 42 years. While at the pub he was employed on a part-time basis. He is now living at Bowbridge but will continue as secretary of the Stroud and District LVA cribbage league.
Mr Doug Smith (36), landlord of the Crown Inn at The Cross, Stroud, for the past two years, has taken over the Anchor. The Crown has been closed down, and eventually is expected to be demolished to make way for Stroud’s ring road.
Stroud News & Journal, 24th September 1997- Businessman finds his lot at former public house: The businessman evicted from his car sales premises in Merrywalks has found a temporary new base for his company. Geoffrey Billett was asked to leave his rented his space underneath the NCP car park, Stroud, after being told that he was technically trespassing.
Mr Billett is now operating his second-hand car business from Linton House, formerly a pub, in Bath Road. “It’s only temporary until something else comes up,” said Mr Billett. “There is room there for 15 cars and that is enough for now,” he added.
Stroud News & Journal, 23rd December 1998 – Yes to starter homes: Plans to turn a former pub car park into three new starter homes have been welcomed by councillors in Stroud. Land between the former Linton public house and a terrace of housing association homes in Bath Road can be developed as a terrace of three homes, planners at Stroud District Council have decided. The pub has been closed for some time and is already converted into residential use.
Owner in 1891: Mrs Leech (leased Charles Smith – Brimscombe Brewery?)
Rateable value in 1891: £19.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Mrs Leech (leased Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud)
Rateable value in 1903: £19.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Anchor Inn include:
1856 W.P. Leech
1891,1903 James Webb.
1906 William Keen
1919,1927 Henry Seaborne
1962-1973 Henry and Pat Griffin
1973 (Nov) Doug Smith (previously at the Star Inn, Painswick)