The Anchor Inn is now a private residence called Anchor House. The High Street address is something of a misnomer – the street is so narrow that passing cars have difficulty manoeuvring out of each others way. The Cotswold stone houses and cottages straddling the High Street were built in an age when horse drawn transport reigned supreme. It is not difficult to imagine two or three horses with their carriages parked outside the Anchor Inn causing chaos in days gone by.
Map Reference: SO 900025 (approx)
Owner in 1891: Holmes & Co.
Rateable value in 1891: £9.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Nailsworth Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £9.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Anchor Inn include:
1868 John Gardiner
1891 William Crook
1902 Joseph Morris
1903 Annie Durridge
1906 Cornelius Wilson