The Anchor Hotel is an 18th century coaching inn that first opened in 1774. It continues to trade on the corner of the High Street and Quay Street. The date 1774 is prominent on the pub sign. The ground floor façade of the Anchor dates from 1921, refurbished by the Cheltenham Original Brewery.
The interior of the Anchor must, at one time, been quite impressive with several rooms. Brewery ‘improvements’ have since seen the Anchor transformed into a large single bar pub. In the mid 1990’s the pub had a complete change of identity and was known as ‘Greens’ but, thankfully, this was short lived.
A sensitive refurbishment followed in 1996 when some of the original character was restored. A decorative bar window and a West Country Ales ceramic plaque grace the frontage of the Anchor. Unfortunately only one etched window now survives – one was vandalised in 2008.
From “Tewkesbury Pubs” by B.R. Linnell (1972, second edition 1996)
Viewed from the outside the Anchor has an air of solid respectability. Set four-square on the junction of High Street and Quay Street it dominates surrounding buildings. One of the oldest building in the town the ground floor façade dates from 1921, the rock-like appearance being moulded concrete. The heavy, gilded anchor which used to hang over the front door was coated in real gold leaf, which probably accounts for its oft-trumpeted but never realised reappearance since the name changed to “Green’s”.
This sign has nothing to do with the sea; it is a religious one, a symbol of the possible salvation for those in danger of being swept away on the sea of life.
Until the 1980’s there were two bars on the ground floor served by a central area which was probably the finest example of a 20th century pub art in the town. Entering by the porticoed double doors a lobby gave access to left and right to public and lounge bars. Fittings were an abundance of rich mahogany , large mirrors, etched glass windows and even a little stained glass. Long benches, padded in the lounge, and solid iron and wood tables made up the furnishings. A side door from Quay Street gave access to all bars, the Jug & Bottle and the rest of the house. The upper stairs remain in their narrow, spiral form.
Nothing remains of the extensive stabling which once housed relays for the many pre-1840 stagecoaches, notably the record-braking “Paul Pry” London to Wales coach. They served into the 20th century supported by the needs of the local carriers to Bredon Hill and beyond. Somewhere in the yard behind the house is the spot where a passing traveller used a revolver to blow out his brains in 1893.
The cellars are deep, vaulted brick and designed to hold good beer.
Greens – otherwise the ‘Anchor’ (B.L. Linnell). This was extensively altered in 1989. The lobby was refitted in glass and the central bar removed to give one large drinking area. the new bar was placed where the old passageway used to be. Initially it was, quite literally, a colourful place, full of light and space. It was angled towards the young and very noisy. Anyone over thirty was rarely seen in the bar. The sign depicts a young couple arm in arm. the connection being elusive.
Owner in 1891: Cheltenham Original Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £40.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Cheltenham Original Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £48.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Owner in 2000: Whitbread Pub Partnerships
Owner in 2004: Enterprise Inns
Landlords at the Anchor Hotel include:
1774 -1793 George Sandilands
1793-1805 Francis Sandilands
1805-1807 Charles Moore
1807-1815 Thomas Bloxham
1815,1820 James Ward
1830 William Moore
1838-1840 William R. Crowe
1840-1845 Richard Watson
1845-1846 James Dee
1846-1847 Richard Davis
1847-1848 Joseph Gainer
1848-1852 William Brooking
1852, 1856 Mrs Martha Hatch
1852-1858 Joseph Pugh
1858-1868 Thomas Ward
1868-1879 James Thacker
1879-1880 Elizabeth Bayliss (B.L. Linnell gives Elizabeth Bailey)
1880 ? Lymes
1881-1882 Mrs Houghton
1882-1888 Edmund Roberts
1888-1891 Florence Oliver
1891-1900 Mary Dauncey
1901-1902 W.J. Perks
1902-1903 John Evans
1903-1904 Rose Fouracre (widow)
1904-1907 Mrs Elizabeth Watton (also listed as Jane Watton, a widow)
1907-1908 Isaac Budden
1908-1912 Frank Ireland
1912 Louis Bach
1912-1918 Arthur Collins
1918-1921 Mrs Florence Collins
1919 Edward James Oakley
1921-1926 Albert Winkles
1926-1928 Harry White
1928-1932 Walter Blight
1932-1935 Henry Byrd
1935-1938 Thomas Mott
1938-1947 Beatrice Mott (widow)
1947-1949 Arthur Mustoe
1949-1965 Gertrude Mustoe (widow)
1965-1971 Clifford Adcock
1971-1972 Charles Hadfield
1972 Colin Durrant
1979-1982 Alan Smith
1982-1989 Gilbert Wellon
1994 Colin Darby (Trading as Greens)
1997 Cindy Perkins
2000,2002 Kay Ratcliffe
2004 Aubrey and Dawn Hann
2002,2008 Dawn Harding