This licensed premises traded under different names. An 1870 directory refers to the Albion Porter Stores, Albion Street. A 1902 reference is to the Albion Tavern. In 1926 it is listed as the Albion Vaults in Sherborne Place.
Juliana Mary Georgina Bayley was the owner of the Albion Inn in 1891 and 1903. It was a licensed beer house. In 1891 the annual rateable value of the Albion Inn / Tavern was £25.10s.0d. For reasons unknown the rates were five pounds and five shillings lower in 1903 when they were valued at £21.5s.0d. Although Juliana ran the pub free from brewery tie in 1891, twelve years later she had leased it out to R.W. Miller & Co., brewers of Stokes Croft, Bristol. R.W. Miller were acquired by the Bristol Brewery of Georges & Co. in 1911 together with 48 public houses.
The lease of the Albion Inn was probably not renewed by the Bristol Brewery. The above photograph clearly shows that the Albion Vaults was a Cheltenham & Hereford house.
Trading as the Albion Vaults it closed in 1968. The building is now Masjid Al Madina, the Bangladeshi Community Centre.
Landlords at the Albion Inn / Tavern include:
1870 T. Chears (Albion Porter Stores, Albion Street)
1871 Thomas Cheers (publican, Albion House – 93 Albion Street). He later was landlord at the Plasterers Arms in Rutland Street.
1878 Moses Gay (Albion Ale and Porter Stores, Albion Street)
1891 Harriet Simpson
1902 William Brown (Albion Tavern)
1903 Percy Alfred Kilminster
1926 Samuel Francis Williams (Albion Vaults, Sherborne Place)