The Admiral Benbow was located on the banks of the River Avon. The inn was also known by other names during its history. It appears to have been called the Mermaid in 1670. In the Pigots 1830 Gloucestershire Directory the premises is referred to as the Severn Trow. The last name of the quayside pub was the Admiral Benbow.
There are no records of the Admiral Benbow in the 1891 and 1903 licensing books of Gloucestershire pubs.
Landlords at the Admiral Benbow / Severn Trow include:
1779-1786 Samuel Mayall
1786-1787 Mary Mayall (widow)
1797-1820 John Martin
1820 John Rogers
1821 John Vokins
1822 Joseph Boughton
1830 Joseph Glover (listed as the Severn Trow)
1842,1846 Joseph Glover.