The Northwick Arms, a licensed beer house has been identified by fellow pub historian Martin Edwards. He has compiled a list of pubs in Cheltenham that were trading in 1844 during the early reign of Queen Victoria – that’s a long time ago! The address of the Northwick Arms is given as Suffolk Road.

In Bath Road there was a Northwick Place where there was a pub called the Fountain. In modern street numbering Northwick Place would have been located at 131-135 Bath Road which is on the western side immediately to the south of Victoria Retreat.

Perhaps the Northwick Arms was located somewhere near the junction of Bath Road and Suffolk Road by the offices at 109 Bath Road.

Landlord:

1844 William Spiers

Share this Page: